Wednesday, December 10, 2014
our pets' heads are falling off
Since having Nova, I don't blog about life in general as much as I used to. I'd really like to do that more - plopping down on the couch, writing about whatever is happening, and hitting "publish." So for today, that's what I'm doing.
The past week has been a little nuts.
1. Our washer has been messing up - the spinning of the clothes has not been happening which makes for sopping wet clothes which makes for a 3-hour drying cycle. We've all been wearing our least cute clothes because getting one load of laundry through the cleaning/drying/folding/putting back process takes 39 hours. All we need to do is call a guy to come fix it, but it's still annoying.
2. When we opened the dishwasher door after a cleaning cycle to find that all of the dishes were dirty and all of the soap was sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher, we knew what our next purchase would be. And let me tell you - that thing can't come soon enough, folks. Washing dishes by hand is for crazy people.
3. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with this, but every once and a while our water won't get hot. It usually happens in the evenings and it's usually only for an hour or so. But that's prime bath hour! This issue isn't awful, but when bath time and no hot water time hit at the same time, it's no fun.
4. Nova had her first ear infection. After several fussy days, she woke up Sunday really fussy and wouldn't quit tugging on her ear. The urgent care doc said that there was redness in both of her ears, so he went ahead and prescribed some medicine. So maybe it wasn't an "official" ear infection, but I think it was about to be one. Today she seems like she's back to her normal, happy self.
5. On top of all of that, there's just the daily stuff. The potty training (which has had ups and downs, but has most definitely clicked in the past couple of weeks), the wiping of noses, the attempt at teaching one how to blow OUT of one's nose, the changing of diapers, the making of baby food which results in baby throwing it right up, the piano that's out of tune ... you know.
The truth is that I've got A LOT to be thankful for - an excellent partner who does anything and everything he can to make things a bit easier, 2 precious kids who I'm absolutely crazy about, and a mom who gave me the day off this past Monday so I could Christmas shop and go on a date with Colt.
But this is one of those times in life where I feel like I'm in that scene from Dumb and Dumber. "We got no food, no jobs ... our pets' heads are falling off!" With all the things that pile on, you eventually get to the point where you just look at your spouse and smile. For those of you that don't know, I live with quite the comedian. Turning anything into a joke is Colt's specialty. I wouldn't say I'm great at it, but I'd like to think I'm getting better.
Anyone else having a little dose of pets'-heads-falling-off these days?