Monday, December 10, 2012

weekend review - the mathews, midol, and a pretend gig

We spent Friday evening with Bryan and Megan (almost!) Mathews.  Of course, they came bearing gifts and fudge pie. 

Since they started dating, we've been saying that we needed to plan a get-together.  And finally, a couple weeks away from their big day, we made it happen.  We loved getting to spend time with just the two of them.  I see many more evenings like this in our future!

(P.S. I hope it's okay I stole all of your Instagram pics, Megan. :))

On Saturday afternoon, we had band practice for an event the next day at the Myriad Gardens.  It was so fun to play with these guys again.

My parents watched Duke while we practiced and then let us do a little Christmas shopping afterward.  We got a lot done and even had time to grab some dinner at S & B's Burger Joint.

We went to bed on Saturday night at 9:47 p.m.  I imagined waking up at 7:00 a.m., ready to play at church, feeling nice and refreshed.  I couldn't have been more off.  I tried to fall asleep for hours, but was not successful.  I tossed, turned, sighed, moaned, drank water, went to the bathroom, took melatonin, got mad.  Finally, I decided I needed a change of scenery at 4:00 a.m.  I grabbed my pillow and camped out on the couch. 

Turns out, I ended up with a whopping 1.5 hours of sleep that night.  Needless to say, I woke up really, really grouchy.  (Which, unfortunately, isn't too drastically different than my usual wake-up attitude.)  While I got ready with a bad attitude, I nonchalantly mentioned to Colt that I took Midol before bed.  He grabbed the box and read that it contains 60 mg of caffeine.  A year ago, this would've had zero affect on me.  But now, post-anxiety, this has an incredible affect on me.  No wonder I had the night of sleep from Hades.

That afternoon, our typical 2-2.5 hour nap was cut short to just 1 hour.  We were supposed to play that evening at the Myriad Gardens in downtown OKC.  We got ready, loaded the car, JMama was here and ready to babysit, and we left the house around 3:45 p.m. 

After unloading all of our equipment onto the stage, we were informed that event had been cancelled.  Yes, it was really cold, our coldest day so far, but it wasn't because of the temperature.  It was because of our dang wind.  It was blowing mic stands over and making it pretty impossible for bands to play.  So we packed our cars and I got this in the process:

The last memory I have of getting a splinter is sitting on my parents floral bed in our teensy Yukon house, throwing a fit as my dad tried to tweeze it out.  Colt didn't know what he was in for.  Luckily, 22 years and a natural childbirth later, I was able to withstand the tweezing.

On our way home from our pretend gig, we got coffee and had a little driving date.

We got in bed last night at 10:30 p.m. and I slept until 8:15 a.m. this morning.  You do the math.  That's a lot of sleep.  Which is perfect since I told myself I was going to start running again (again) ((again)) today.  I typed out my training schedule for the OKC memorial half marathon so I'll be sharing that with you all soon.  Anyone else planning on doing the half?


  1. I'm planning to train for the half! We should do some runs together, you know, as motivation! :)

    1. Yes, we should! ... Although I'm sure you're MUCH faster than me! :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...